I don't deny it, I have a gear problem. Its rather larger. Trying to juggle 10 or so hobbies creates massive amounts of gear. Over the course of the last few months we have out grown our gear closet and were in desperate need of a new system. Recently we acquired a spare bedroom in the house and it was immediately decided that it would be converted to a yoga and gear room. The problem was trying to figure out how to organize our gear in a way that looked presentable, but was functional.
The internet was full options, but most of them didn't suit our needs. Either they were too small, or just not designed well. After some time we came across a beautiful wood rack system that used 3/4" wood pegs to hang gear. The wood was unfinished and beautiful. The problem was that the company wanted $300+ dollars per panel. With the amount of space we needed, we were looking at a $1500 gear wall. Excessive, even by my standards. Once we discovered the style of the rack system we easily found someone who had recreated one for much less. We set to work with the help of my girlfriend's dad.
We decided to occupy a entire wall from the ground to the ceiling with unfinished plywood. We drilled holes in the plywood for the pegs to go in. Drilling plenty of holes allowed us to move them around and accommodate all different sizes of gear. In between the two full size boards we went with three strips of board to hang backpacks on. The finished protect looks decent, but we definitely made some mistakes. First off make sure you take your time drilling the holes. Some of them became sloppy and are too big for the pegs. In order to combat these we used toothpicks to wedge the pegs in place. We also found that no matter where you buy the pegs, they are all different sizes. Although some of them claim to be 1" dowels, some are off by 1/16" creating loose fits in the drilled holes. Very frustrating. Even with these issues the wall system came out beautifully and works great. Plus we managed to only spend $225 instead of the outrageous amount it would have costed to have it pre done.