There are two types of people in this world. Those who get it and those who don't. Most of us fit into the first group, even though you may not know it yet. I am talking about stickers. Some of us never fully grew out of that stage of enjoying the simple pleasure of personalizing anything with a sticker. As kids it is socially accepted that you like stickers. As adults you are just that weird outdoorsy person with stickers all over their water bottle. For those of you trying to determine whether your condition is serious or not I put together a short list of key identifiers.
- Lets say you buy a new piece of gear. A brand new technical trucker hat (yeah thats a thing now) from your favorite brand. It has all the cool shit. A colorful mesh screen that sticks up four inches above your head. Some outdoorsy themed imagery across the front that proclaims your love for the outdoors. And of course a straight bill you can use to draft lines on your building plans for the perfect Sprinter van. But before you even begin to soak that hat with sweat, you realize it didn't come with a sticker? WTF! What good outdoorsy product doesn't come with a sticker, how are you suppose to represent that you wish you were sponsored by them?
- You went to your local gear shop and spent two hours talking to the staff about the specs on everything you looked at. You basically led them on the whole time, while convincing yourself you didn't really need it. On your way out the door, you notice a slew of stickers neatly pilled on the counter. "Are these free?" you ask. Before the word 'Yes' is finished you have already snagged stickers from every pile. Even though you don't own gear from all the stickers you gathered, you never know, you might in the future. And how cool would your gear look with a bunch of stickers covering it up.
- There are times when signing peak boxes or checking in at a trail you wish you had a sticker. Not just any sticker, but a sticker representing your brand. Sure you are a no name blogger but how cool would it be to have a roll of 1000 stickers to slap on any surface you can find. Free advertising right?
- Every hard surface of gear you own is covered with a sticker. Sometimes you find yourself manipulating stickers to ensure they fit flawless. Laptop, tablet, bottles, bikes, and your car are covered in them. If your significant other would let you, they would probably find themselves covered in stickers.
- If you have ever contacted a company solely to get free stickers.
You may or may not realize, but you have a sticker addiction problem. If any of these symptoms sound familiar you must immediately commit to a detox program. Good luck.